One of the major challenges facing businesses and leaders today is high pressure and short deadline cultures which result in a continual sense of urgency. When we are stressed and lacking time, our ability to communicate effectively can be inhibited which impacts on commercial outcomes and individual wellbeing.
Our client, a leading maritime provision and stores management partner, recognise the value of people skills in their senior management team. Feel Good Leadership were asked to deliver an In-House Leadership Programme to enhance their ability to communicate under pressure, increase self-awareness and perception of how their management style makes others feel.
In addition to influencing a positive cultural shift resulting from improved communication and awareness, the programme would need to enhance efficiency and commercial outcomes including improved work flow and meetings, accelerated growth and increased customer satisfaction.
We analysed the existing culture, needs and challenges identified by the senior management team to understand where social and emotional behavioural change could benefit the business. The results of this analysis guided the programme content and areas of focus including emotional self-awareness, self-control, influencing, conflict management and team work. We provided a number of practical strategies and an overarching approach to help facilitate positive change across the group.
- The average competency level across the team increased for 100% of the 12 ESCI competencies.
- Leaders demonstrated up to a 31% improvement in Self-Awareness and Emotional Self-Awareness which were identified as two key competencies for the team.
- Garrets International represented a significant acquisition for Wrist who saw sales increase by 13% in the first year following purchase despite tough market conditions.
- Customer satisfaction as measured by periodical satisfaction surveys to all customers increased by 11% over 12 months.
- Staff retention rates have improved by 25%. Staff retention is critical due to the technical nature of our business and the time it takes to train new staff.
- Budgets were achieved despite the usual disruptions caused by the merging of two businesses.
“I can definitely, categorically say that this adds value and increases the performance of the business because it eradicates wasted time, driven by conflict and a lack of understanding between departments.”
– Richard Page, Chief Operating Officer, Garrets International Ltd