Fortitude | The Power of Emotional Resilience
Simple skills of connecting with another person
- Be present – give that person 100% of your attention (not thinking of what you’re going to have for tea or respond in your head to endless distractions). When you get distracted, re focus on the person
- Intently listen and look for signs – what is the person really saying, do not respond or interrupt
- Give the person space and time – Give the person adequate space to talk, think and make sense of the world for themselves without interrupting, solving or telling
- Get into a short high value conversation for 5 mins rather than 20 mins of distracted half-hearted attention
- Who needs your time, space and attention so they feel truly listened to?